Portfolio Project: E-commerce Innovation
Fast growing, national brand required enhanced e-commerce capabilities across multiple channels and existing platforms, including B2B, B2C, and dropship. New features included: customer specific assortment and discounts, shipping options by customer and location, optimized mobile experience, and ERP integrations.
Weeks 1-3: Requirements and Research
- Documented current state and vision, in partnership with accounting, finance, IT, customer service, and operations.
- Researched capabilities and limitations of existing systems.
- Mapped new features into configure w/ training, purchase, or build
- Finalized project requirements, and drafted proposed plan
Weeks 3-4: Assess Options, Design & Plan
- Researched buy versus build options – focused on existing systems and new tools from established vendors where possible
- Recommended design including e-commerce platform upgrades for B2C and new B2B platform
- Finalized detailed project plan with tasks, timing, and budget
Weeks 5-12: Implement and Test
- Partner with e-commerce platform provider to implement new B2C capabilities
- Selected and managed experienced partner to implement new B2B store
- Daily project meetings to track progress, test and re-work functionality as delivered, including: customer clickstreams, order to cash processes, and master data management
- Trained teams on new capabilities and customer experience.
- Trained B2B customers on new capabilities
- Updated reports and KPI’s
Week 13: Go Live
- Daily team review of site metrics, customer contacts, and analytics to find problems
- Prioritized and resolved post-live issues
- Watched recordings of site visits daily for any customer issues
- Identified and prioritized future enhancements
• 20+% increase in cart profitability with new pricing and shipping charge capabilities
• 30+% increase in B2B orders placed online with credit card or ACH
• Increased order to cash automation, saving 1+hr per day