Ransomware is a bigger problem than ever. This survey compiled by Sophos has a lot of valuable findings such as:
- Almost three quarters of ransomware attacks result in the data being encrypted.
- 51% of organizations were hit by ransomware in the last year.
- The criminals succeeded in encrypting the data in 73% of these attacks.
- 26% of ransomware victims whose data was encrypted got their data back by paying the ransom. A further 1% paid the ransom but didn’t get their data back.
- 94% of organizations whose data was encrypted got it back. More than twice as many got it back via backups (56%) than by paying the ransom (26%).
- Paying the ransom doubles the cost of dealing with a ransomware attack. The
average cost to rectify the impacts of a ransomware attack is US$732,520 for organizations that don’t pay the ransom, rising to US$1,448,458 for organizations that do pay.